The 2018 theme for Oct 1 – The day for older persons is “Celebrating Older Human Rights Champions“. DAGOMO Foundation uses this occasion to celebrate and acknowledge the legacies of the great human rights activist for older persons late Ambassador Julia Álvarez – “The ambassador of ageing” In whose honor, the world today sets aside October 1st as world older persons day. We recognize her unrelenting efforts towards the fight for the rights of older persons globally.
DAGOMO draws inspiration from her works as we continue our advocacy for the rights of all older persons in Nigeria and the world at large. We believe in the following “DAGOMO rights of the older person”:
- The right to participate in good governance.
- The right to freedom from discrimination and abuse.
- The right to good health care and supporting infrastructure.
- The right to be loved and to be cared for.
- The right to companionship.
- The right to be recognized for contributions to society
- The right to share their experiences and stories so that we all learn from history
We use this opportunity to congratulate Nigeria on its 58th Independence Anniversary.
“Age may wrinkle the skin, but to give up hope wrinkles the soul.”
Happy World Older Persons day!!! Happy Independence Day Nigeria 🇳🇬!!
Ifueko M Omoigui Okauru, MFR
Chief Program Officer
DAGOMO Foundation Nigeria Ltd/GTE