- At Dagomo, our efforts ensure that the ageing in society is empowered with the information and resources to assist them age in a way that makes them feel fulfilled, makes them retain a certain level of independence even as they may be dependent on others, not to be seen as a burden on others; feel accepted and loved; be treated equitably; be recognized for the value that they bring knowing that with ageing health issues increase and the support gotten are likely to diminish due to reduced access to networks, increase cost of medical expenses and reduced ability to engage others who may be involved in other family and work activities.
- We believe ageing is a process to prepare for as early as possible through the way life is lived i.e. your life style, financial savings made, and the choices made
- People need to support their loved ones through the ageing process but with the right information on the effects and also where services are available to provide succor
- We are committed to achieving a level of consciousness in the society that ensures the elderly are respected regardless of income or affiliation, and treated as persons worthy of honour. That people would see the need to assist an elderly person in need, would protect the rights of the elderly irrespective of his tribe or creed, and would treat the elderly as vulnerable persons even as children, as they often have similarities in dispositions.
Based on this are our AWDIP projects planned:
- AWDIP Project – CARE – CARE formed by the words COMPASSION, AFFECTION, RESCUE AND EMPATHY is a pilot project to be operational in Benin City Edo state being the location of the foundation.
Gleaning from a baseline survey conducted by a team of volunteers and staff of Dagomo to find out the primary care needs of the elderly in Oredo Local Government Area of Benin City, it was discovered that issues bothering on health ranked highest as 88% of persons interviewed claimed it was a primary area of concern for the elderly. While in a focused group discussion, it was generally agreed that elderly persons preferred to be around loved ones and were in greater need for companionship as they grew older.
Therefore this project area is specifically designed on the backdrop of being a channel of care to the elderly in practical ways that touch their lives positively. This pilot stage hopes to touch at least 50 lives directly in its first 6 months of operation.
- AWDIP Project – ENGAGE – development of training solutions to target different publics
- AWDIP Project – Vision Invasion – Invading the mind of subscribers through all available technology solutions (internet, social media, sms, virtual scheduling of trainings and using advert space to generate revenue from targeted advertisers of common interest
- AWDIP Project – ROSE – Ranking of Services to the Elderly
- AWDIP Project – VOTE Radio Station (Voice of the Elderly Radio Station) – Setting up a national radio station dedicated to raising awareness about and for the Elderly
- AWDIP Project – ADVOCATE – Developing a National policy for the Elderly for Nigeria and introduce a private bill to the National Assembly for this (check disability bill to avoid repetition)
- AWDIP PROJECT – CONNECT – matching needy elderly persons with various services need areas ranging from health, legal, social, psychological etc.